The client is a customer success platform that empowers SaaS businesses to proactively manage customers through complete visibility, a robust early warning system, and built-in playbooks. The Co-founder of the client company knew Musikaar since quite sometime as he was working with a company previously where Musikaar was involved in providing Software Engineering services. Since he had a great experience working with Musikaar, he decided to engage with Musikaar for all Software Testing activities for his new venture
As a Startup Company it had an in-house development team. However, due to lack of an independent testing team and a matured QA process, they faced some challenges in terms of delivering quality software. Musikaar was engaged to ensure that the software delivered was of highest quality and this was done at a much lesser cost than what they would have incurred if they had hired resources locally on-site
Solutions provided by Musikaar
- Dedicated Test team – Through phone call meetings as well as online webex sessions between Musikaar and the client, we understood the key project requirements and the functionality of the application in detail. The next stage was to decide on the number of resources required based on the required execution and the required skillset, which was done fairly quickly.
- Implementation of QA processes – The dedicated QA team analysed the requirements in detail and ensured that they were correct and complete. The Client already had Jira in use for bug tracking, the QA team suggested the client to configure Testlink as the Test case management tool. The QA team created a Test Strategy and after discussions with the client team, the strategy document was created and approved. Based on the test strategy document, the QA team wrote test cases and performed manual tests to discover bugs in the application.
- Automating Tests – Once the application stabilized, our engineers performed REST API testing through REST Client and Apache Jmeter. Smoke test and performance test scripts were developed in Jmeter which helped client improve the application’s performance.
The QA team then decided to automate functional tests that they used to manually execute as part of Smoke testing of a newly deployed build in the test environment. This way, we saved time and efforts to manually perform these tasks. For this, several tools were analysed in terms of their fit with the product and the environment and we selected Selenium to automate the functioanlity tests.
- We wanted to ensure smooth exchange of information between the Client and the QA team located in different countries as well as different time zones. In order to achieve this, we decided to have a weekly status meeting using webex. In these meetings QA team would ask for any clarifications they may need as well as discuss the defects raised in the project. Apart from this, emails were used. The client also got an opportunity to talk about any priorities or new features coming into the application which could be done better in these meetings rather than sending emails.
- At the end of every test execution cycle, the QA team used to prepare a Test Summary report outlining the number of test cases executed during the cycle as well as the number of defects found. This helped the Client to measure the effectiveness of an independent Test team as well as the performance of the in-house Development team.
- Test link as Test Case Management tool
- Apache Jmeter for API testing and performance testing
- Selenium web driver with Java for automating functional test cases
- REST Client to test APIs
- OWASP – ZAP tool for penetration testing
- VMWare ESXI server: Used for compatibility testing where we tested the application with different browsers & Operating systems
Benefits for Client
- Musikaar team worked closely with the Client to write test cases in order to improve the test coverage. During the client’s frequent build cycles, new builds were sent directly to Musikaar team for quick turnaround which enhanced the productivity and shorten the QA cycle.
- Musikaar implemented the Test Case Management system wihich made adding and updating test cases very easy
- QA Lead at Musikaar worked with the Client to provide seamless integration between the teams. With Musikaar’s help, the client was able to meet their product release deadline with a high-quality product